Mirrors do not just belong in a fun house. They are important decorating accessories that can transform a small dark with light and spaciousness. Placing mirrors in a room can make it feel bigger. Use these tips in order to use your mirrors to their best advantage.
Mirrors are your best friend. Obviously you will not be able to get rid of all the walls in your home, but by adding mirrors to them, you can create the illusion of a larger space. Mirrors have been used for hundreds of years to make small rooms look bigger and taller. Not only that, but they can also reflect light and brighten up a dark room (or a dark corner).
Here are some of the advantages of using a mirror in the room
- Enlarge your bathroom: If your bathroom is lacking space, use mirrors behind your sink in a floor to countertop fashion. This will give the illusion of space, reflect more light and give you a mirror to get ready in the morning by. If you have a beautiful window in your bathroom, be creative and mount hanging mirrors from the ceiling to float in front of the windows. This is a gorgeous interior designer trick that beckons repeating in your home!
- Dramatic mirrors: If you want to add a visual focal point to your space, try adding an oversized mirror to your room. Choose to frame it in a complimentary style to your décor.
- Dramatic mirrors will reflect the room, but also add the illusion of height. If your room has low ceilings, try adding a floor to ceiling mirror. You will instantly feel the room dynamics change. Try using a light wall color and matching window treatment color to create more height and space.
- Brighten a dark wall: If you have a dark accent wall in your space sometimes it will feel closed in and in turn make the room feel small and cold. Use a mirror on this wall to reflect the lighter side of the room and to hide a portion of the dark colored wall. For added interest choose greenery, or water elements to reflect back into the room. Your room will feel more spacious and more balanced with the nature features.
- Mirrors in multi-functions: If you are short on space, consider using your mirrors on closet doors or on storage cabinets. Multi-functional mirror designs will solve the issue of enlarging the space but can also be used to show off decorative shelving and collections. Mirrors which serve multi functions will make your room work well and look great!
- Mirrors as art: Mirrors are usually thought of in the framed form. Mirrors can also be a piece of artwork alone in a space. Do it yourselfers will enjoy visiting a glass and mirror store and creating your own creation for your space. Home improvement and furniture stores often sell accessories to their regular lineup of furniture. The ideas are limitless if you get inspiration from a decorative space you visit or online interiors hunting!
So you see achieving that big and spacious look for your home is not that hard to do. You just need a few tricks to create an illusion that will enlarge your space visually. Try these tricks and you might be surprised how big your home suddenly has become.
10+ Room Hacks: Using Mirror Ideas
Choosing a mirror for your home does more than just make a space look bigger; it’s also about giving off a light and warm feel. Hope the ideas in this post were useful to you!